söndag 2 april 2017

Bathing without bubbles

I'm back home, and before I jump into bed I thought I would tell you some more about my visit to the thermal bath Rudas in Budapest. It is a medieval Turkish bath with a 16th century core in the architecture. It's located next to the Danube river and beneath the Gellert hill on the Buda side of the city. 
 
Gellert hill and the bronze statue of Szent Gellert. It's supposed to be a waterfall underneath it, but it was not in use. 

Women are only allowed entrance (and bathing) in the Rudas bath, on Tuesdays and on weekends - the rest of the week are intended for men only. I didn't know this when I was there (Saturday), and truthfully I wouldn't have gone there if I had known. Any form of inequality like that makes me furios! No matter if it's about gender, heritage, sexual preferences or whatever! We live in the 21st century, not the Middle Ages! We are ALL equals! The Rudas bath should be open for all every day of the week, end of story!

Anyhow, I paid them a visit before knowing their "special treatment" of men, and when there I tried both their thermal baths and a massage. 
 
As you weren't allowed to take pictures inside the bath, I borrowed this one from:
Visit their website and read more about the baths in Budapest. 

The thermal baths are really five baths (4 small and 1 larger which you see in this picture) with temperatures raging between 28 degrees Celsius and 42 degrees. The big pool was 36 degrees, I enjoyed that one the most. But! I just have a bit of a hard time bathing with a lot of people (strangers, and mostly men) and being able to enjoy it when the smell that hits you reminds you of rotten eggs. After a while you get use to it, and it isn't super strong, but nevertheless not my cup of tea. Not even knowing it's supposedly really good for you. But the beautiful architecture and settings makes the visit well worth it. And the massage was ok. Not the best I've ever had, but probably not one of the worst either. A 50 minutes massage and entrance to the thermal baths cost about 400 SEK (about $45), which is very cheap compared to what I would have been forced to pay here in Sweden for a bath/massage.

Laters babes!

Over and out
Pusspuss 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar